The IGS has grant aided a Conservation Report by Dedalus Architecture to prioritise a programme of works for the conservation of the house and to secure its outbuildings. The project is being funded through supporters and Chapters of the IGS in London, Chicago and Ireland, through grants from the Heritage Council and from the Department of Arts Heritage & the Gaeltacht’s Built Heritage Investment Scheme 2016, and through the Select Vestry of Rathmoylan Union of Parishes.An insightful letter by the owner along with further photos is available to read on the NIAH website: Month/Archive/Name,2875,The Irish Georgian Society is coordinating the restoration of an important painted glass window by the artist Thomas Jervais (d. SIGNIFICANCE The painted enamel window by Thomas Jervais’ (d.1799) in Agher Church was executed in 1770 and presents Paul preaching at Athens, from the cartoons of Raphael.
Three windows by him were formerly in Rathfarnham Castle, as recorded by Austin Cooper in 1781; but they have now disappeared.’ The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography notes the following in its entry on Jervais: ‘[Jervais] established a reputation for small-scale, finely detailed panels – generally copies of Italian, Dutch and Flemish masters – for the expanding domestic market…
He held a number of popular exhibitions of his work in London in the 1770s and 1780s.
In 1777 Jervais won the commission for which he is best remembered: the great west window of the ante-chapel of New College, Oxford, to designs provided by Sir Joshua Reynolds: a large Correggio-inspired Nativity over standing figures of the cardinal virtues and Christian graces.
1780 and reputedly occupied by generations of the same family since that time until 2007, the Thatched Cottage, Lenankeel, Co.
Donegal is of significant importance for its early date and also as it relates to a surviving group of vernacular structures that form part of a clachan settlement, though this is the last of the houses to retain its thatched roof.
In surveying the house some years ago, the NIAH noted the need for a full record of the structure including its surviving interior features and its rope and stone peg thatch, which it was feared could very soon disappear.
Though in poor condition, it is very encouraging to report that its current owner is taking on the admirable task of restoring this gem of a building.
Following a fire in 1809 which devastated the house, the window was relocated to the East window of Agher parish church, which the NIAH notes was reconstructed c.
1902 and describes as being of ‘a simple and modest form…